I’ve been working at home most of the day, and I’ve had the television on with CNN running in the background much of the time. It’s a little unusual for me, given that I’ve pretty declared a moratorium on television news, like since right after 9/11 and before the Iraq war. I may have to reneg on that. Reason? Because CNN has some rather attractive male anchors. And for the record, these guys (presented here in no particular order) can give me the news—good or bad—any day:
- Bill Hemmer
- Sanjay Gupta (The picture with his bio doesn’t do him justice.)
- John Vause
- Miguel Marquez (He’s a member of National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association.)
- Jason Bellini (He’s the only one of these guys I’ve ever met, before he went to work for CNN. However he never managed to remember my name on any occasion.)
- Kendis Gibson
- Daniel Sieberg (I’ve always had a weakness for good-looking geeks.)
- Tucker Carlson (He’s a bit too right-leaning for my taste. But I’m bi-partisan in this instance. He’s OK, so long as he doesn’t talk…much.)
And I’ve saved the best, or at least my current most favorite talking head, for last: Anderson Cooper. He was already pretty high up on the list, but he rocketed to the top after I caught a transcript of an exchange Cooper had with Jerry Fallwell recently, via Wonkette.
COOPER: But there are a lot of gay families out there, Reverend Falwell, there are a lot of gay families out there. I think there are like a million kids being raised by gay parents who say that if you want to protect families, you know, civil unions will give inheritance rights, will give Social Security, survivor benefits rights to…
FALWELL: Anderson, that’s all a red herring. If you want to leave something to your cat, you can do that in your will…
COOPER: It’s not a red herring. That’s simply not true. It’s not true. You know we pay taxes.
Didja catch that? “…we pay taxes.” “We”? I repeat: “We”? Could that have been the royal “we”? Not that I’m on the market, or that I’d have a shot at Cooper even if I was, but I can’t help hoping so.