Who Blogs What

Here’s a question for the readers of this blog. From time to time I get emails about various news stories that people think I might be interested in, and I appreciate getting those emails.

Today I got one about the scripted Q&A between the president and U.S. soldiers. I didn’t blog about the story because by then I’d already seen it on half a dozen of the top liberal blogs. At that point I figured, I didn’t need to blog about it.

I’ve had a tendency to do that alot in the last few months. If I see something already covered on several of highly trafficked blogs, I usually end up deciding not to post about it, because I figure it’s being covered widely enough already. So unless I have a wildly different take on it, I leave it alone.

But sometimes I wonder if that isn’t a silly sort of semi-policy to have. Is it? I’m not sure how many readers here also read some of the bigger blogs, but I assume — given the size of their readership and that their traffic accounts for 99& of political blogging traffic — that most people who read political blogs, or read blogs at all, read at least one of them. So if several of them are all over a story, it seems redundant for me to jump in as well.

Does that makes sense, or am I just being silly?

Technorati Tags: ,

This entry was posted in Blogs, Current Events. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Who Blogs What

1. Shaula Evans says:

It makes sense.  AND you’re being silly.

One one hand, I don’t jump on the news flavour du jour, either, unless I really have something to add to the topic.  I understand where you’re coming from.

On the other hand, I don’t read the Big Blogs, and I’m far more interested in your take than theirs. :)

2. Kai says:

I’m one of the silent masses that comes through here everyday, reading and never commenting.  Yours is the only political blog I read because I’m interested in your take and the things you report on.  So if you don’t report something, thinking I (or others like me) have seen it elsewhere, I (and others like me) won’t see it. ..

3. Dude!  You beat me to a post I was thinking about writing on which subjects I choose to comment on (or alert others to see).  My guideline is: If you can sign to get a Google news alert on a topic and you get 100 hits for said topic, there is no way I have anything to ad on the topic.  On the other hand, if I see something that grooves my mind and I can bring it to light, well, that’s the shit! Pardon my language.

4. sennoma says:

My $0.02: you have to choose, because you can’t cover everything, so the system you describe makes as much sense as any.  I don’t file you under "political" anyway, for all that politics is probably your main topic.  I come here for your perspective on, well, whatever you want to post about.

5. Bryan says:

Another one of the silent masses de-lurking for a moment. I do occasionally read other blogs while surfing the net. However, I read your blog everyday because I am interested in what you have to say…about almost anything (well, so far). ;-) Whether or not I have already been to Google News, Common Dreams, or Salon.com, I still come here to see what’s on your mind about what’s happening in the world. It is your perspective in which I’m interested, whether the story has been on 50 other blogs or not…even if your perspective is mainly to link to another blog you think has made a worthy comment. Isn’t that supposed to be the difference between blogs and news sites? So if you have something to say about a story, don’t hold back. As long as you’re not forcing it just to say something, you’ll be fine.  I’d venture to guess, too, that many of your readers, like me, don’t live and breath in the political blogosphere 24/7. And I am happy to know that you are out there representing a perspective that largely overlaps with mine. In my eyes, you are one of the bigger blogs. ;-)

Gee, I have gone on a bit. Time to re-engage my cloaking device. PEACE!

6. trey says:

my feeling? I read dailykos, I read americablog…etc.

I don’t think you are being silly. You have only a limited amount of time, if you spent it writing about things other more trafficked blogs wrote about, you wouldn’t be able to write about things that are either more interesting or you would have a unique perspective on. I would tend to read you less in that case… unless…

1. its something that really should be spread around as a meme. something you/we really want ‘out there’ or

2. you have something particularly insightful or a unique perspective on the topic.

Actually… the best rule of thumb is to just write about whatever strikes you fancy.. big news, overly reported news, esoteric news.. whatever you passion tells you to write about.

I’ll keep reading then whatever it is :)

7. KathyF says:

I feel exactly the same way. I tune out after the first time I’ve read something; it seems there’s a lot of redundancy out there.

But once in a while something will push my buttons, and I’ll blog about it. I try to say something that hasn’t been said, or say it in a way that hasn’t been done.

I never intended to be a strictly political blog, though, so I don’t feel the need to inform my readers of every utterance of the VRWC.

8. John P. Hoke says:

T,
    While I read the "big blogs", I read each for their particular take on an issue, Atrios’ spin will be slightly different than Kos’, etc.

I would say that if you have nothing to say on a subject that has not been said… then think twice about posting on it… but if you have something to say about it, say it and let the rest be damned.

I read your posts because you have a unique and well thought out voice …  I would never bitch or moan about having more of it to read :)

Boiled down to the core … if ya got somethin’ to say, by all means speak up my man!

9. neilemac says:

You probably tire from me flogging your blog about cyberspace, citing you as an honest and compassionate voice;  but I never tire of reading what you have to say on any of the mulitple issues dominating the news. At least your’s is the real "fair and balanced" report, unlike the liars and compassionless dweebs purporting to be at FOX NEWS [for example]. But when the rest of America, or so it seems to Canadians, is giving those ‘news creators’ huge ratings; you better believe I come to your blog  to find out what’s really going on [or at least be pointed in [ironically which is left] the right direction.] You rock and by now should  know it.
    Write on about anything T….I’m reading and am sure,  I’m hearing the truth.
    namasté

10. Mark says:

Not silly at all. I kinda take the same approach — unless someone’s requested a blogswarm on a topic, I try to address stories and issues not found on the "larger" blogs.

Good to know it’s not just me.